Sunday 28 November 2010

Barcelona

We left Languedoc yesterday and are in Barcelona. We had been warned about pickpockets and scammers before so we were ready to watch out once we got there. What we did not expect was to be robbed on the motorway in broad daylight. We were about 15 minutes away from Barcelona and nearing our junction when the car beside us started waving at us, pointing at our tire and telling us to pull over. My dad had been noticing a bit of wheel wobble earlier and was therefore not surprised. We pulled over and the man came over to us while his wife stayed in the car. He was panicked and pointing at the tire and talking frantically in Spanish. Then another man jumped out from the car (he had been hiding) and grabbed our computer and my mom s daysack. I was the only one to see this as Dad was out looking at the tire and Mom was looking back. I jumped up and screamed: they re taking the computer.
I then learnt that in situations like this, I do not stay calm and collected, but instead Adrenalin takes hold. Not thinking, I started running after the guy. He jumped in his car and they sped away with his door still open. I ran after the car swearing at the man as loud as I could. Unfortunately, I only later realised that all my efforts were lost as we are in Spain now and he probably did not understand English. When we got to our hostel we got directions to the police office and spent some time seeing the city while we looked for the station. 2 hours of time, to be precise. The streets are a maze and seem to all be one way. I had a nice blog written and ready to post about our last week in Azille unfortunately you will have to be stuck reading this one instead. By the way, does everyone like the youtube video?

1 comment: